Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor or in the cover letter).
- The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, or RTF document file format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines.
- Author form/copyright agreement has been signed and uploaded with submission. Copy/paste this URL into your browser to obtain the form: https://amwajournal.org/index.php/amwa/libraryFiles/downloadPublic/1
- Cover letter is included as a separate file with submission. The cover letter should briefly describe the manuscript and state that all authors are in agreement with the submission.
- Unblinded manuscript file uploaded; has minimum elements of Title, author byline, Abstract (if original research), Body of the Text, Disclosure statements and References. Figure captions should also be included in the main manuscript file, even though figures are uploaded separately.
- A blinded manuscript file uploaded that does not include any of the following: 1) any information about the specific location of authors, author names, 2) acknowledgements 3) funding source or disclosure information. The blinded manuscript file should contain a full manuscript title, abstract, main text, figure captions, and reference list.
- Figures uploaded separately, clearly labeled. Photographic images as TIFF, PNG, JPEG. Line figures, bar charts, or illustrations are best supplied as hi-resolution (200 dpi or above) PDF, EPS, JPG, TIFF, or PNG.
- Have all authors reviewed the final version of the submission, and are all authors in agreement with submission to the AMWA Journal?
- All figures/graphics/tables are fully created by one of the authors or correct permission forms are uploaded if using/modifying content from another source.
CE Craft Corner
Highlighting the art of writing for professional development in health care, this section accepts articles that provide information of interest to medical communicators who develop materials to assist accredited continuing medical education (CME/CE) providers in planning and delivering effective education for physicians and other health professionals. Word Count: 750-2,000 words.
Conscious Writing is a regular contribution by Crystal Herron that helps writers bring awareness and intention to their craft.
This section features discussion of ethical situations encountered by medical communicators and professional approaches to their management. Publication preference is given to those topics that are particularly timely. Word Count: 750-2,000 words.
This section provides original content and expert commentary from seasoned contributors on topics of interest to freelance medical communicators. Word Count: 750-2,000 words
Letters to the Editor
Letters to the Editor provide an opportunity to comment on topics published in the Journal. Letters should refer to contents within the past 2 issues. Word Count: 300-400 words.
The AMWA Journal invites manuscripts reporting original research on written communication, publication trends, and medical communicators’ productivity and value added. Word Count: 2,500-3,000 words (plus abstract).
This section accepts manuscripts that provide practical guidance to medical writers and editors (at all levels of experience) for improving the skills involved in their daily work activities in a variety of medical communication settings. Word Count: 750-2,000 words.
This section provides information of particular interest to communicators who write or edit documents related to the pharmaceutical or device industries. Word Count: 750-2,000 words.
The Science Series accepts manuscripts that provide an overview of a specific anatomic or physiologic topic (eg, body system), disease or condition, diagnostic method (eg, laboratory tests, imaging systems), or type of treatment (eg, devices). Word Count: 2,500-3,000 words (plus abstract).
This section covers statistical concepts and developments in clinical research of interest to medical communicators. Word Count: 750-2,000 words.
The Technology Talk section addresses advances in medical communications tools, including new and upcoming software, hardware, and associated processes. Word Count: 750-2,000 words.
The AMWA Journal invites manuscripts addressing theme article topics announced on the homepage with due dates. Word Count: 2,500-3,000 words (plus abstract) if intended as a feature article, or 750-2000 words.
The AMWA Journal invites manuscripts on areas of interest to medical communicators, including topics within such broad categories as regulatory writing, continuing medical education, patient education, medical marketing/advertising, public relations, medical journal management, publication ethics, health policy, etc. The AMWA Journal especially encourages the submission of articles on the theoretical underpinnings of specific types of medical communication. AMWA Journal readers are primarily practitioners (not academicians), and application of theory to practice is an essential component of manuscripts. Word Count: 2,500-3,000 words (plus abstract).
This section includes articles that provide guidance to medical communicators for developing a professional online presence and effectively integrating social media into their work environment. The section will also explore the impact social media currently has on the healthcare industry. Word Count: 750-2,000 words.
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS
For complete copyright and authorship information, please review the AMWA Journal Author Agreement & Copyright License (will open in a separate window).
Authors of manuscripts accepted for publication retain copyright in their work but are required to grant to AMWA exclusive worldwide first publication rights and further grant a nonexclusive license for other uses of the manuscript for the duration of their copyright as outlined in the AMWA Journal Author Agreement & Copyright License. In the same agreement, authors are required to confirm that the material submitted for publication, both in its paper and electronic versions, including reproductions of other works (eg, photographs, maps, etc.) does not infringe upon any existing copyright.
Any reproduction within two years following the date of publication requires the permission of the Editor-in-Chief of the AMWA Journal. Contact email@example.com for all requests for reuse.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party. Read AMWA's privacy statement for more information.